22-13 Financial Management Responsibilities of Advisor and CEO – Briefings
New or modified
- From March 5-8, 2022, the Office of Local Government (OLG) held briefings for councilors and chief executives on their responsibilities for municipal financial management.
- The recording of the CEO is available on the OLG Board Portal and on OLG YouTube Channel
- A recording of the advisor training session is available on the OLG Board Portal.
- In addition, OLG has also developed a detailed route to the Code of Accounting and Financial Reporting Practices, including key statements and disclosures. This recording is available on the OLG Board Portal and on OLG YouTube Channel.
- These latest recordings add to and complement the one-hour Fundamentals of Accounting and Financial Reporting briefing released by OLG in August 2021.
- Fundamentals of recording accounting and financial reports are available on the OLG Board Portal and on OLG YouTube Channel.
- OLG encourages boards to distribute these recordings widely to councillors, superintendents and staff.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils manage significant finances on behalf of their communities.
- Many staff members and all CEOs and advisors play a key role in the board’s financial decision making and it is essential that decision makers have an adequate level of financial literacy.
- To this end, OLG has developed various information sessions on accounting and financial reporting responsibilities and financial management.
- These information sessions are delivered via audio recording and PowerPoint presentation.
- The information sessions complement OLG’s growing range of financial and accounting resources.
Where to go for more information
Assistant Secretary Crown Lands and Local Government